Razor-Sharp Marketing Ideas: Review of the Amazon Fire HD Tablets Video Ads
The Product: Amazon Fire HD Tablet
Maker: Amazon (@AmazonKindle)
How the Company is Marketing the Product: Relatable Real-Life Situations
Target Audience: Families; techies; anyone who has ever broken a tablet.
Quick Run-through: In Video 1, the Amazon Fire HD tablet is put through a tumbling test. Then, the scene switches to a man who accidentally drops his tablet down a flight of stairs, only to discover that his tablet still works perfectly.
Ninja Trick: The ad shows commonplace scenarios in which people accidentally break or damage their tablets. These are highly relatable and easily sharable scenarios, especially if you know someone who has broken a tablet.
Subtle Message: The speaker states, “…and that’s why we do it [the testing].” You are led to believe they do the testing just for you.
Marketing Ideas You Can Use:
- Share data and testing: The first scene in Video 1 draws you into the science and testing that is done to make the Amazon Fire HD tablets as durable as possible. If you have any data that would convince a potential buyer of the strengths of your product, make sure to convey this. Data could be statistics, customer reviews, the hours invested in testing the product, etc. The key is to share information that sets you apart from your competitors. The unique selling point of Amazon Fire is that Amazon has tested the durability of its tablets, and proclaims it to be more durable than other popular tablets.
- Tell a relatable story: People buy based on their emotions. Only after their emotions are engaged will they consider the logic behind the purchase. Try to find the emotional response behind your product. Then, tie this emotional response to your marketing campaign for more effective results. (I wonder how effective this video series would be if they put the story first, then showed the science.)
- Have a target audience in mind: Video 1 shows a man at home watching sports on his Amazon Fire tablet. Video 2 shows a mom leaving her tablet on the roof of her car, only to have it fall off. Each video has a specifically targeted audience. If you have more than one demographic, consider targeting each demographic group in your marketing campaign. For example, would your overall marketing campaign be better if you focused specifically on men in one ad, and specifically on women in another ad? Speak your target audience’s language, relate to their needs, create a landing page “just for them,” and tie your target audience directly to your product.
- Take on the competition: At the end of the video ads, the statement on the screen reads: “2X more durable than iPad.” This is a bold move, but you would assume by the tests depicted at the beginning of the ads that Amazon can back up their claims. Find something that you do that your competition doesn’t do, and let everyone know what you offer. The more you can stand above the crowd, the better you can be found by potential buyers. Just make sure you can back up your claims.
We can learn a lot by analyzing the campaigns of other marketers. Marketing techniques from companies of all shapes and sizes can help your business grow. You can take just one of the ideas from multi-million dollar companies like Amazon and use it to rise above your competition today.
If you are doing what everyone else in your industry is doing, how will you ever stand out? Take some of the aforementioned marketing ideas and use it to your advantage!
Note: This is a video ad review. If you would like me to review any ads, drop me a note and I will see about adding it to our list.
Latest posts by Lyle Huddlestun (see all)
- Razor Sharp Marketing – Holidays, Trends and Themes, oh, my - November 8, 2017
- Standout Marketing - October 7, 2017
- Razor-Sharp Marketing Ideas: Graubünden Tourism’s Great Escape - September 11, 2015